- This event has passed.
Breaking Intergenerational Patterns of Addiction, Trauma, and Dark Secrets in Families
December 10, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Many people can trace patterns of addiction, trauma, dark secrets, and drug-related fatalities in their families back through four or five generations. In this presentation, you will learn prevention, intervention, and treatment strategies to help break these intergenerational patterns. We will discuss the roles of prevention specialists, therapists, providers, trauma specialists, persons in recovery, families, and entire communities in breaking these patterns. Other topics include fetal alcohol spectrum disorder as a risk factor, how to create a healing forest to help break intergenerational patterns, and a discussion of the entire community as the prevention and recovery center.
- Six risk factors for intergenerational patterns of addiction in families.
- The role of prevention specialists, therapists, trauma specialists, and behavioral health specialists in breaking intergenerational patterns.
- The roles of persons in recovery and families in breaking intergenerational patterns.
- The unique risks for children of substance-using parents.
- The impact of siblings on the intergenerational transmission of addiction and prevention strategies.