- This event has passed.
Co-Occurring Disorders: Compassionate Care for Healing and Recovery
June 9 @ 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
In the United States, almost half of all people with substance use disorders also meet criteria for a mental health disorder, and vice versa. Understanding how each disorder impacts the other is imperative to providing effective interventions. In this session, participants will learn about common psychiatric disorders, their symptoms, and treatment, and will analyze how they impact and interact with substance use disorders. Content will explore best practices in supporting people living with co-occurring conditions to promote long term recovery and successful reintegration into their community of choice.
- Identify common psychiatric disorders, prevalent symptoms, and effective treatment interventions
- Identify the 3 major components of effective treatment for substance use disorders
- Explain the relationship between mental health and substance use disorders and how they can impact one another
- Describe risk factors that make a person vulnerable to the development of co-occurring disorders
- Discuss person-centered care and how it works to supports recovery in persons with co-occurring disorders