- This event has passed.
Growing Your Toolkit to Effectively Serve the LGBTQ+ Community
April 9 @ 1:30 pm - 5:30 pm
This four-hour webinar will offer both the foundational knowledge needed to effectively engage with members of the LGBTQ+ community and the tools/resources necessary to support their mental health and well-being. (NOTE: You will be registered for the entire presentation; however, if you do not need the foundational information, you may join at 2:30pm for the second half.) In the first half, we will explore the basic terminology and concepts important in the LGBTQ+ community, the concepts of sex, gender, sexuality, and sexual orientation, and how labels are applied to describe one’s experience of their identity. We will also practice using gender-neutral pronouns and discuss the coming out process. Later, we will discuss common strategies for engaging with LGBTQ+ individuals in ways that are inclusive and honor their lived experiences, explore developmental considerations for LGBTQ+ people, various models of identity development, risk factors and resilience, and specific mental health considerations.
Participants will learn
- common terminology used within the LGBT+ community
- how to differentiate between aspects of identity that are commonly conflated by those outside of the LGBTQ+ community
- multiple gender-neutral pronouns and how to use them
- tips for working with LGBTQ+ people
- the developmental context for LGBTQ+ identity
- how gender and sexuality identity develop and intersect
- mental health considerations for the LGBT+ community
Audience: Behavioral health, human services, other community-based providers