- This event has passed.
Motivational Interviewing: Technical Skills
November 30 @ 9:30 am - 12:30 pm
Motivational interviewing is an evidence-based practice used to help people overcome their ambivalence about change. In this interactive, skills-based workshop, participants will have the opportunity to learn about and practice the spirit of MI and both the relational and technical skills.
- Define and summarize the processes of focusing and evoking
- Identify different strategies for focusing and prepare to apply them to client interactions
- Define and recognize change talk, sustain talk, and discordance
- Differentiate between client cues of readiness, ambivalence, and discordance
- Construct effective responses to different client cues
- Design a plan for advancing individual MI skills