- This event has passed.
Providing Culturally Responsive Care to the LGBT Population
February 15 @ 12:00 pm - 3:30 pm
This training introduces key terms and concepts such as gender identity and sexual orientation, treatment considerations for clinical work, and addressing the specific needs of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender individuals.
Behavioral healthcare providers, including psychologists, LMTS and LCSWs, nurses, mental health and substance use disorder counselors, prevention practitioners, public health practitioners, teachers and counselors, and state, local, and county government staff.
- Recall two factors that contribute to substance use among LGBT clients.
- Identify two barriers to health screening and medical care for LGBT clients.
- Recognize two health issues/behaviors that pose a higher risk for LGBT clients
- Identify two strategies service providers can implement to create affirming environments for LGBT people.
- Specify one effective treatment approach for LGBT populations.
- Learn the difference between â€œcultural humilityâ€ and â€œcultural competence.â€
- Analyze two strategies for creating culturally affirming interactions.