- This event has passed.
The Nexus of Substance Misuse and Mental Health
April 26 @ 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
The Great Lakes PTTC is providing a 3-part series on the nexus of substance misuse and other public health issues. We will be exploring the nexus of substance misuse and mental health conditions, suicide, and problem gambling. This â€œnexusâ€ provides an opportunity for prevention specialists and other behavioral health leaders to develop a cohesive strategy within a public health framework to reduce the rates of all four behavioral health problems.
The three webinars in this series will provide state and community substance misuse prevention practitioners with information on the scope of each problem, an understanding of traditional barriers to collaboration and current programming, and ways to work together. The three sessions are:
- Nexus of Substance Misuse Prevention and Mental Health Promotion
- Nexus of Substance Misuse Prevention and Problem Gambling Prevention
- Nexus of Substance Misuse Prevention and Suicide Prevention
Nexus of Substance Misuse Prevention and Mental Health Promotion
The first of this 3-part series will focus on the nexus between substance misuse prevention and mental health promotion efforts. We recognize that drug and alcohol addiction as well as substance use disorders are commonly associated with underlying or untreated mental health disorders. Anxiety disorders, depression, and other psychiatric disorders frequently coincide with an individual’s substance abuse.
- Discuss the complex relationship between mental health disorders and substance misuse.
- List shared risk and protective factors between mental health and substance misuse disorders
- List the barriers to collaboration between the mental health field and substance misuse prevention
- Describe collaboration strategies for substance use prevention professionals and the mental health field to improve public health and community conditions.